Amazon SimpleDB: LITE
|Also available on:|
- Examine Amazon SimpleDB in comparison to traditional relational databases.
- Set up an AWS account, and enable SimpleDB service for the account
- Install and set up libraries for Java, PHP, and Python.
- Become familiar with the SimpleDB data model
Table of ContentsPreface
Chapter 1: Getting to Know SimpleDB
Chapter 2: Getting Started with SimpleDB
Chapter 3: SimpleDB versus RDBMS
Chapter 4: The SimpleDB Data Model
- Chapter 1: Getting to Know SimpleDB
- Experimenting with SimpleDB
- How does SimpleDB work?
- How do I interact with SimpleDB?
- How is SimpleDB priced?
- Free tier
- Why should I use SimpleDB?
- Make your applications simpler to architect
- Build flexibility into your applications
- Create high-performance web applications
- Take advantage of lower costs
- Scale your applications on demand
- Architect for the cloud
- Chapter 2: Getting Started with SimpleDB
- Creating an AWS account
- Enabling SimpleDB service for AWS account
- Query API and authentication
- SimpleDB libraries
- SDBtool — Firefox plugin
- Sample outline — performing basic operations
- Basic operations with Java
- Exploring SimpleDB with Java
- Creating a domain with Java
- Listing domains with Java
- Manipulating items with Java
- Deleting a domain with Java
- Basic operations with PHP
- Exploring SimpleDB with PHP
- Creating a domain with PHP
- Listing domains with PHP
- Manipulating items with PHP
- Deleting a domain with PHP
- Basic operations with Python
- Introducing boto
- Exploring SimpleDB with Python
- Creating a domain with Python
- Retrieving a domain with Python
- Creating items with Python
- Chapter 3: SimpleDB versus RDBMS
- No normalization
- No joins
- No schemas
- Simpler SQL
- Only strings
- Eventual consistency
- Flash: February 24, 2010 — consistent read added
- Low maintenance
- Advantages of the SimpleDB model
- Disadvantages of the SimpleDB model
- Chapter 4: The SimpleDB Data Model
- Domains with Java
- Domains with PHP
- Domains with Python
- Exploring the metadata for a domain and costs
- Retrieving domain metadata
- Retrieving domain metadata with Java
- Retrieving domain metadata with PHP
- Retrieving domain metadata with Python
- Components of a domain's metadata
- SimpleDB domain constraints
- Adding attributes to an item with Java
- Adding attributes to an item with PHP
- Adding attributes to an item with Python
- Constraints on SimpleDB items
- Attributes with Java
- Attributes with PHP
- Attributes with Python
- Constraints on SimpleDB item attributes
- Storing multiple values in a single attribute with Java
- Storing multiple values in a single attribute with PHP
- Storing multiple values in a single attribute with Python
- Constraints on values of a SimpleDB item
- Consistent Read and Conditional Put / Delete announcement
- ConsistentRead = true for getAttributes and Select
- Conditional Put / Delete
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this title.
Lite EditionLearn more
Full EditionLearn more
|Examine Amazon SimpleDB in comparison to traditional relational databases
|Set up an AWS account, and enable SimpleDB service for the account|
|Install and set up libraries for Java, PHP, and Python|
|Become familiar with the SimpleDB data mode|
|eBook available as PDF downloads|
|eBook available as ePub downloads|
|Available on PacktLib|
|A complete guide that covers everything from installation to advanced features aimed at optimizing your application|
What you will learn from this book
- Get to Know SimpleDB, explores SimpleDB and the advantages of utilizing it to build web-scale applications.
- Get Started with SimpleDB - set up an AWS account, enable a SimpleDB service for the account, and install and set up libraries for Java, PHP, and Python.
- Understand the differences between SimpleDB and a traditional RDBMS, as well as the pros and cons of using SimpleDB as the storage engine in your application.
- Includes a detailed look at the SimpleDB data model and different methods for interacting with a domain, its items, and their attributes.
Amazon’s SimpleDB is a highly scalable, simple-to-use, and inexpensive database in the cloud from Amazon Web Services. But in order to use SimpleDB, you really have to change your mindset. This isn't a traditional relational database; in fact it's not relational at all. For developers who have experience working with relational databases, this may lead to misconceptions as to how SimpleDB works.
This focused book is all about Amazon SimpleDB, quickly understanding its power and value, and how to get up and running fast.
To find out more about upgrading to the full edition, visit www.packtpub.com/lite-editions and log into your account for offers and help. If you don’t have an account on PacktPub.com, visit today and set one up!
This focused book is an extracted LITE version of Packt’s full: Amazon SimpleDB Developer Guide. It concentrates on getting a grounding in the value of SimpleDB, and shows how to set up an AWS account, enable a SimpleDB service for the account, and install and set up libraries for Java, PHP, and Python.
Who this book is for
If you are a developer wanting to get to grips with a primer into SimpleDB, then this book is for you. You do not need to know anything about SimpleDB to read and learn from this book, and no basic knowledge is strictly necessary.